Upcoming Race Meetings

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Blackpool club night


I was racing at Blackpool on Friday night. The evening promised to be an interesting potential showcase of my newly discovered speed at the smaller Morecambe layout in recent weeks. Things started well enough. I wasn't as quite as fast as I had hoped but certainly was going better than I had been in my last few visits to Blackpool.


Then, right at the end of Round 1 grip roll struck. I suddenly found it very difficult to keep al four wheels on the carpet at some crucial points on the track. For Round 2 I tried widening the front of the car by 0.5mm each side after some advice from Andy. It worked as advertised and the car stayed on the ground, but it felt slower and I had lost some of the steering I have come to love. In spite of how it felt I did go quicker, mainly because I didn't spend any time in the scenery I think.

For Round 3 I narrowed my front end back to normal, but replaced my 28 JBs with 32 JBs I borrowed from Danny Holmes. It had a similar feel as the widened front end in the previous round but I managed to improve a little more. I qualified 4th in the A final as a result and decided to keep the 32s on for the finals.


In the finals I went well enough, but did not manage to improve on my qualifying position. As a result I left the evening relatively satisfied - it had been a more solid performance than in recent past - however I was left a little frustrated and perplexed by what I could do to get rid of the grip roll but get the level f grip back which we enjoy on the 28 JBs...

No comments:

Post a Comment