Upcoming Race Meetings

Saturday 9 April 2011

Friday night in Blackpool

I was in Blackpool last night racing with all the gang at BRCCC. Danny was away on holiday so it looked like Andy, myself and Damien would be each other's main competition.

My car still seemed to be going well enough although I knew my tyres were my weakest element - I have a new set on order but they didn't arrive in time unfortunately. So I started the evening with a small hole in the edge of the front right tyre and finished the evening with an even bigger hole in that tyre and a whole new worn-through gash in my rear left tyre which basically exposed the insert halfway around the tyre. As you might expect that somewhat ruined my final and gave the car some interesting handling traits. Luckily the tyres held up throughout qualifying so I enjoyed most of my evening.

I've not got any pictures again basically because I couldn't decide what I would or could take any pictures of. I've not got any new gear to speak off (and in all honesty I probably won't be getting any this year) so there aren't any photo 'ops' there, the Blackpool facility remains the same week in week out so... yeah. When I find something photo-worthy or get something new and exciting it will be posted up here first!

Actually, speaking of new things, Graham Whur bought a new Sanwa M11 2.4 system from Colin via Andy and commented straight away how much more responsive it felt compared to his old Spektrum system. This caused me some psychological issues (as I have a Spektrum module in the back of my Sanwa Exzes Plus - the stick version of the M11 essentially) so when I had a play with it on the bench comparing it to mine the difference was shocking and frankly appalling - Spektrum obviously gave up on R&D years ago... It also supported comments Andy has made in the past when trying my car - flicking between using his Sanwa 2.4 Super Exzes Plus and my Spektrum Sanwa Exzes Plus (which should essentially be the same radio) - that my car feels numb. We had always put this down to some quirk of setup, but now I'm thinking the Spektrum system is to blame. At the end of the evening I had a go with Andy's car/radio on the track. If I thought it looked bad on the bench, the difference in feeling was amazing - I felt so much more connected to the car, I was able to start pushing straight away because I had such confidence that the car was going to end up where I wanted it to be. So... possibly be looking to sell all my Sanwa Spektrum/40Mhz gear to fund an updated 2.4 Sanwa system... any takers? :p

No comments:

Post a Comment