Upcoming Race Meetings

Tuesday 23 February 2010

Commentary on the 12th Weekend at Maritime

The top finals on Saturday weren't exactly filled with the usual suspects, as a couple of you may have noticed, and the reasons for this weren't 100% clear. But, I believe the main factor was that grip on the whole was a little strange for a lot of people actually.

Few noteworthy points from the Saturday include: Peter Craig making the A final with his lipo powered Serpent link car and also Elliott Harper losing the A final when his cells dumped, apparently a false peak was to blame for that. If anything Saturday's A final was something of an advert for the future of lipo in 12th!

Sunday saw a few more developments: Chris Kerswell built his V-Designs link car overnight and as far as I know ran that all day Sunday. The A final in Sport Mod was visited by yet more lipo runners including Danny Holmes who was running the new Xray link car with Tekin speedo and the new-style GM motor.

My weekend went very well, both Saturday and Sunday. I went to Maritime with the mindset that I simply hadn't enjoyed my 12th season much at all so far, and I was determined that this had to stop. So my only real goal for the weekend was to have a good time. This meant I didn't fuss with tires at all; just ran the slightly different sized, chunked sets I already had all weekend. The shocks felt a little squeltchy, but not un-usable I decided, so they were left as well. I rebuilt the diff on the Sunday morning to make it slightly less grindy and that was the only time I touched the car for maintenance (other than the obligatory once over with a paintbrush after runs).

The end result was a little surprising. The weekend was my best result to date. I qualified 3rd in the C final on the Saturday and finished 2nd. Then I qualified 3rd in the Sport Mod B final on the Sunday and finished 2nd again. Two trophies in as many days. That's what I call a result. Seems focusing on the enjoyment of the weekend and just making sure I kept going round and not hitting anything for 8 minutes was what I really needed to focus on. I'm sure to do much better some more race preparation needs to happen (as it usually does and probably will in future). But for now, I'm savouring the Maritime National as is...

No comments:

Post a Comment