Upcoming Race Meetings

Tuesday 28 September 2010

Inbetweener at Morecambe


We're in between championships at Morecambe at the mo. Which is disappointing as I did okay last night and could have used the score to try and salvage my championship ability rating which I managed to slaughter in the last two weeks of our last championship. We had a particularly busy night during a Morecambe @ Blackpool meeting a few weeks back and I had already managed to not scrape into the A final (so was already about 6 points down on 'normal')... then, when I was sitting on pole in the B final, my spur gear gave up the ghost and left me to finish last as I could no longer continue racing. As my attendance in the championship had been patchy at best that score had to count and single handedly dropped my average score by nearly 3 points. Not ideal.



Anyway, back to last night. Mark Jordan and I had some close racing moments during the qualifying rounds - where we seemed to push whoever was leading, but then if we got past were immediately pushed by the new second place! We concluded it was easier to chase someone than it was to lead someone, the pressure was just getting to us I guess.

In I think the second qualifier I needed a good result (although thinking about it when don't you need a good result in a qualifying round?) - allwas going well until I managed to spin the car round on the straight?! Fortunately the others missed my stranded car and I was able to continue once they had gone past, but I had lost the plot and continued to drive poorly for the rest of the round. Anyway, when when all was said and done with qualifying Mark had managed to get a quick, clean run in and was sat in the A final. I had been less fortunate and was sitting behind Mark Carter in the B final.


Our final started well, everyone was clean but keeping each other honest at the same time. At some point fairly early on I managed to get a tight line out of a chicane at the same time Mark clipped the marker so I got the jump on him coming on the straight. Mark skillfully (and politely) gave me just enough room to finish the move and settled in right behind immediately. A few more laps passed when a mistake on the sweeper at the end of the straight pushed me wide and Mark squeezed past to take the lead again whilst I resumed role of chaser. Again a few more laps passed before Mark repeated my mistake on the sweeper and I returned the favour, putting me back in the lead with a minute to go. I kept it steady determined to not make an unforced error - I thought if I could do that I should be able to keep Mark behind me. Mark unluckily clipped another corner and rolled the car temporarily giving me the breathing space to take a comfortable win. Fantastic race, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Bring on next Monday...

Hopefully the Inbetweeners fans amongst you may have noticed my very witty and clever pun in the title for this post - I rush back every Monday now after racing to watch the show - good times! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment