Upcoming Race Meetings

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Racing at Morecambe


I was at Morecambe last night again for my Monday evening reprieve. T'was a good evening actually - car is continuing to go well, I seemed to have regained my consistency and we had the re-appearance of Dean back to racing!


Qualifying went well and I continued to get a little faster with every round. A couple of little mistakes in the final qualifier meant that I never quite realised my full potential in qualifying. The best I was able to muster was a very quick 35 lapper, Andy once again setting the pace with 36 laps. Nevertheless I qualified 3rd on the grid behind Andy Murray and Ian Joyner, with Mark Carter sat right on my boot lid.


The finals started with their usual tenacity and Ian, Mark and had a few fiercely fought laps with some great overtaking and unfortunate mistakes made by all. Unfortunately for us this allowed Mr Murray to break free of the pack and put a nice buffer between him and us. Once everyone had settled into some sort of rhythm I found myself in second place with an Andy in the distance.


I'm not sure if I mentioned before, but we have a championship format that gives a bonus point for the fastest lap in the finals - a nice little incentive to give 'em hell for a few laps if you find yourself in some clean air; either because you're in the lead or way behind. So, I set about trying to put some quick laps in to try and catch him and also get the 'points' for fastest lap. As it turned out Andy was doing the same and before Iknew it the buzzer sounded and I hadn't made or lost any significant ground.


I rushed over to the computer to see what and who the fastest lap went to... seeing that I had managed a 7.80 second lap and Andy 'only' a 7.92 time, I began to gloat! Only to be reminded by Andy the championship finished last week and this was a 'free practice' week with no points... I promptly claimed a moral victory and my imaginary point nonetheless. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment